April 23, 2011

My Prom Night (Part One)

Do you remember that coveted prom night? Your dress/tuxedo, your shoes, your date, the music? Or maybe you're still in high school, and anxious to experience the most memorable nights of your high school career? Since it's Prom season, I thought I'd share my experience of the supposed "Best night of your life, next to your wedding". I remember the entire day perfectly.

It was a hot, muggy day in May, typical Louisiana weather. The sun was shining bright, the bees were buzzing, and the mosquitoes were out enjoying their all you can eat buffet, it was a beautiful day. The sunlight illuminated my room, and as I looked over at my pink curtains I smiled brightly, just like in the movies. The first two minutes of that day was just beautiful...That is until I looked over at my clock.

It was after 2:30 PM, how the hell did I manage to sleep that long?! My smile turned upside down as I marched out of bed. I usually didn't awake myself, it was my mom's job. "Mama, why didn't you wake me up?!" I asked angrily as she sat in the living room watching TV. "Aw, baby, I wanted you to get your beauty rest, you know it is prom night" NO mama, I didn't know it was the night I'd been preparing for since middle school I thought to myself. I smiled anyway and thanked her for letting me sleep, God knew how much I needed it.

The day was so boring and ordinary. For lunch, I ate a sandwich...It was PROM NIGHT, where's the steak and potatoes, servants waiting on me hand and foot, magical music, Fairy Godmother (Whitney Houston, preferably), something whimsical! I dragged through the day wondering what the night would be like. I'd watched way too many romantic comedies and chick flicks, so mind was all over the place.

7:00 rolled around, and I was still in my daydreaming stupor. "Shouldn't you be getting ready for prom?" My dad asked, snapping me back to reality. "Oh yeah daddy...Sure." By that time I'd became more nervous than excited, rethinking the whole idea. I wasn't some homecoming queen or cheerleader or even "popular", good prom nights only happen to those kind of people, the people who "ruled" the school. I was out of my mind for even thinking that my Prom night would be magical.

So, there I was sitting on my bed staring at my gold, custom made, dress hanging on the door wondering should I go. After debating, thinking, regretting, laughing, crying, I finally decided I'd go. I swear my hormones were out of whack that day.

My parents began to rush me saying that I'd be late if I didn't hurry. Parents are so old fashioned, who arrives on time to prom. "Mamaaaaaaa! Daaaaaady! no one arrives early to prom," I whined. I forced myself to put on my dress and my shoes. My parents and my brother were all waiting outside for my premiere. Before stepping outside I looked in the mirror and made a few adjustments, putting on earrings, a necklace, and a bracelet. I wasn't a fan of necklaces and bracelets, but since it was Prom, I made an exception.

I stepped outside and was blinded by the flash of my Mama's digital camera. She squealed in excitement, saying how beautiful I looked, she was my mother, it was her job to say that I was beautiful. I smiled anyway, because I truly felt beautiful. My Daddy smiled and said "You look pretty". My Daddy rarely gives compliments on anything, so I took that one to heart. After my Mama snapped about 100 pictures of me in various poses and with my Daddy and brother, she let me go. I slowly walked away waving at my Mama who was teary-eyed, I'd been ready to leave, but I knew she'd be emotional, so I walked away slowly. I got into my car and shut the door, FINALLY I was off, but not before I picked up my friend who'd been waiting on me since 6:00 PM. I waved at my family again, as I backed out of the driveway. They made it seem as if I was riding off into the sunset with my knight in shining armor to a faraway land for eternity or something (I wish).

The night was just beginning, I wasn't prepared for what was in store for me the rest of the night...

Part Two will be posted soon :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment