May 27, 2011

Breaking A Life Story (Part III)

I always considered myself lucky or blessed, that is until I got to Birmingham. Nothing ever seems to go right for me here, but I think maybe the Lord may have delivered me a blessing in the form of a tweet.

"I'll be at the Club Beso in Atlanta TOMORROW NIGHT! Meet and greet until midnight! See you there"

It was from one of the most recognizable faces in the world, Bryan B. Reynolds. He was a former basketball player, turned actor, turned singer. Such a stable guy. His first two albums went platinum within the first two weeks, he is THE man. He retired from basketball at 24, retired from acting at 27 and last week a few tabloids reported that he may be working on his final album in order to pursue a modeling career.

This was the story that I had to break, bring one of the biggest celebrities to Birmingham for a candid one on one interview. I know, candid interviews are for journalists who earn them, the ones that work non-stop for years just to get a desk job, but this was my only shot and my only lead to a big story. Within minutes I was on the phone ordering a room within 5 miles of Club Beso.

I smiled to myself contently, thinking how close I am to getting the break I deserved. It was well after 6:00 and for some reason I felt the need to call my mother. I hadn't spoken to her in days which is pretty unusual.

"Hello?" my mother's sweet country voice always brought me back to a simpler time.
"Hey Mama, how are you doing?"
"I'm just fine baby! Oh I'm so glad to hear from you! I miss you and so does your daddy."

I smiled at the thought of my parents. My mother was a hard working fair skinned sweet Montana girl while my father was a dark skinned New Yorker that knew all the right words to say. They met on an Army Base where my mother was living with her parents. My grandfather was a Corporal in the Army, and they'd just relocated from Germany. My father was a new soldier fresh out of boot camp, and once they met, sparks flew and they've been together since. I was lucky to have such a mixture of culture in my life.

"Yeah Mama I'm fine, just busy you know. Guess what mama? I got my own segment! I'm going to be live on TV next week!" I was genuinely excited even if my ass was on the line.

"Oh honey that's wonderful! Les, our baby is gonna be on TV!" My mother always called my father Les instead of Lester.

"Congrats baby!" He yelled from afar.

I missed my parents a lot. I hadn't seem them in a year, and talking on the phone just doesn't do much justice these days.

"Well Mama, I'm going to be going to Atlanta for the next few days to follow a lead on a story. I just wanted to let you know that. When I get home I'll be sure to give ya'll a call back," I said reverting back to my country Montana accent.

"Oh ok baby, we love you so much! Be careful now out there, you hear?"
"Yes Mama. Love you!"

I hung up the phone, feeling refreshed. Talking to my mother always did that to me. I packed up my papers and put them in my messenger bag, slinging it over my shoulder. By this time Monday, I'd be something big.
***********************************************************************
Once I got home to my cozy little apartment, I kicked off my shoes and slumped down on the couch. My Shih-Tzu Lacey was ecstatic to see me, I loved the feeling of being missed. I rubbed behind her ears and told her about my day. I know she's only a dog, but she'd always sit beside me and listen intently, with her ears pointed high and her tail wagging. Lacey is the closest thing I have to family. I had no one else in Birmingham besides her and Jazz.

Jazz is my best friend, we were on the same flight to Birmingham when I first arrived and we've been friends since. She's wild, crazy, and outspoken and I love her for it! She always tells it like it is, but in a caring way, she'll never intentionally hurt anyone's feelings. I picked up the phone to call her in order to tell her that I'd be out of tow.

"Hey girl, what's up?" I asked.
"Hey Jay, nothin' much. Trying to figure out these stock trends."

Jazz was in the finance/stock market business. She worked for an investing company downtown.

"Oh, sounds...fun!" I said with a laugh.
"Pssh. Yeah right! So what's going on?"
"Nothing girl, I just wanted to let you know that I'd be out of town for the next two days. Tonight I'm taking off for Atlanta. I have to follow a lead up there and I wanted to get there kind of early, so I'm leaving at around 3 AM." I said looking at the clock.

"Oh really? Must be a good lead if you're going that far away. It better not be a date that you're going on! 'Cause I know you visit Eharmony.com regularly! Well just call me when you get there so I'll know you're ok."

"Whatever Jazz! You're too much! But I'll definitely call you when I get there. I'll talk to you later. Night."

I hung up the phone immediately trying to concoct a plan to approach Bryan. After all I wasn't one of those video girls with a body full of eye candy. I got up and dug in my closet. For the past year, I've only wore pantsuits or black dress pants and a nice blouse, but I knew this mission would take more than a hard creased pair of pants.

Eventually I found a new pair of jeans, I remember ordering them from my favorite online store, but I'd never had the free time to wear them. I also found a red tank top that I'd never wore. I tried on the jeans and the tank, both were pretty tight fitting, but not too tight, just enough to hug my curves in the right places. I stood in the mirror and looked at myself, I looked plain.

I took off my tank and dug in my underwear drawer for my "good bra". The bra that lifted, tucked, and squeezed just right. I traded my regular bra for the good bra and put the tank back on. I went over to my jewelry armoire, and put on three strings of short pearls. I put on a pair of dangling chandelier pearl and diamond earrings. To top off everything I put on a diamond bracelet, and a white cropped cardigan over my tank. I looked in the mirror again and this time, I looked pretty good. I'd do my hair, makeup, and find my shoes tomorrow. Already, I couldn't wait to show myself off.

0 comments:

Post a Comment