July 10, 2011

What Christians SHOULD Think of Homosexuals

I've thought about this for a long time, but it really hit me when I took my Theology class last semester. I've been a Christian all my life, and generally I know how to approach a lot of situations the Christian way but the topic of Gays/Lesbians/Bi-sexuals is soo touchy.

I remember being 10 or 11 and my mother was talking to this elderly lady that lived a few blocks away. She kept preaching about how it was a terrible sin to be a Gay person, and how they will all 'burn'. I instantly thought "Well since they are such bad people, should we treat them different?". The lady was like a grandmother to me, so saying anything was out of the question. Everything she said was instantly declared a law. No house or senate vote necessary. My mother didn't say anything either, she just listened and smiled politely.

I didn't question my mother, but I pondered about what the old lady said. I know I wasn't raised to treat people mean or different because of their race, religion, or sexual orientation so even though I was convinced that Gays were evil and sinners I vowed to myself to not treat them different. Before, I never had to even think about how to treat a Gay person, and I wasn't going to change my ways. I think my mother knew that she raised me well enough, so she didn't have to talk to me about it...But since then, I've always wondered, as a Christian, what should I think of Gays?

More recently, I was talking to a friend who is deeply spiritual, and some kind of way we ended up talking about Gays and I decided to ask about her honest opinion of Gays. She said in nutshell that as Christians we should accept them as people, but their sexuality is a demon that we should not welcome. We accept them in our lives, to CHANGE them, to make them aware that there is a demon inside of them, and in order to be cleansed of the demon they must join the church and become heterosexual. If they do not want to change, they are no longer welcomed in our lives.

Very interesting idea I thought...But it still didn't seem like a good way to me. I don't know why, but it disturbed me, I really needed an answer that satisfied my heart and soul and what she said didn't. A few days later, I went to my Theology class (I only took it once a week) and I don't know if it was a message from God, but my professor spoke of the same thing that bothered me only a few days prior. Since her message, I FINALLY get it.

As Christians, we should think nothing more or less of Gay people just because of their sexual orientation. As followers of Jesus, we should have an open and welcoming heart to ALL people. We should show hospitality and kindness to all that we encounter, no matter who they may be. Jesus during his time, closely affiliated with the people who were looked down upon. He feasted and partied with sinners, the sick, the lame, and even women (who were considered almost less than dust at that time) and Jesus is/was the Messiah, the chosen one by God. Judging people is just as much of a sin as lying or adultery because it takes away from the love in our hearts. You can't show love and hospitality to someone that you're constantly judging.

So, all of the Christians who judge and look down upon the people who are Gay/Lesbian/Bi-sexual don't have clean hands, they are sinners as well. You don't become friends with someone to change them. Basically that's lying, and leading a person on. If you only become friends with someone to change them, that's still judging them and it's mean. It's like becoming friends with someone and saying "Hey, you know you're just a bit too fat for me to be friends with you, you should really lose weight. Do you want to workout with me?". If that person didn't come to you for help, MAYBE just MAYBE they're happy with who they are.

fin.

6 comments:

  1. THIS IS SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL ! I LOVE YOU FOR THIS :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I REALLY DO AGREE WITH WHAT YOUR SAYINGAND THIS IS REALLY AMAZING :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a Christian I agree with this 100%!! We are not to judge, but to love and show the love of Christ through us to all people...not just certain ones. We do not have to accept or agree with a lifestyle to accept and love a person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. why not? what friends are for if they don't tell you what's good for you? being honest and sincere is ok even you're being mean to them. truth like surgery hurts but it cures...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I agree with you to an extent. I mean yeah, friends should be honest with you and tell you if you're mistreating them/someone else, if a certain outfit doesn't look good on them, or their fly is unzipped but when you tell someone to change their entire lifestyle, that's different. If you like them as a friend and you liked them when you met them, then why tell them to change? Doesn't seem like you liked them that much. You can't have surgery to change or "cure" sexual orientation. And you're right truth does hurt like surgery, but surgery can leave an awful, ugly scar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome job chic

    ReplyDelete