May 11, 2012

Three Things That Depress Me...

Hey all! It's the summertime and I'm back! Woot, woot! So, today I decided to check my email to see if anyone had sent me questions during my hiatus, and you guys did! I looked through the five emails that I received and all of them were great but this one was my favorite.

One of my readers asked: What depresses you personally, socially, and just in general? I believe this is a great question, and maybe you guys can relate to this question. Everyone has something that makes them sad, upset, or just angry. Here are mine.

Personally
One thing that depresses me personally is the fact that I'm 20 with no kids nor am I in a serious relationship. I know, shocker. As I've said in the past, I don't really want kids, and it's not that I want to be a mother. It's just the fact that I don't even feel the need to want the responsibility of a family or a child. Sometimes I feel like a late bloomer and even immature. I don't have the feelings that most girls my age do. I'm not sure if it's a good thing or bad thing. Almost everyone my age is either pregnant or has kids, in a serious relationship or engaged but I just want to go with the flow and let things happen. Sure, I'd love to get married and have my happily ever after, but as of late I'm not rushing, and maybe I should be? I don't know. It's kind of odd seeing girls my age and even younger planning to marry. I don't think I'm careless at all, just careful, you know? I think this really all has to do with the fact that I just got out of a relationship...

Socially
Politics. There's SO much turmoil within politics and I hate it. It depresses me that this country is so divided and that people are so ignorant. I feel like moving out of this country, to somewhere in Europe or maybe even Canada, anywhere but here.

In General
I have two of these and one I have said this before but, I can't stand society nor the media. Society is the worst, the fact that if society decides that you're too different, too skinny, too fat, too gay, too dark, too flamboyant, too weird, you're an outcast, you're wrong and you don't belong to be treated equally in society. The media and society are one in the same. The media just reiterates what society says through magazines, articles, and television. I just wish we didn't put so much value on what society thinks. I wish people knew that their opinion is JUST their opinion and no one has the right to place value on 'different' people. It's depressing that people feed into society instead of their own personal values. We glorify the beautiful, the rich, and the perfect but look down upon the normal, the poor, and those who are different.

The second general thing that depresses me, is weight loss commercials. I hate them because they are such lies and they portray fat people in such a negative light. A few weeks back I saw a commercial where Mariah Carey was conducting a panel-type discussion about weight loss. One of the females on the panels said "Being fat is just unattractive..." I almost threw something at my flat screen TV, but quickly came to reality after thinking over the money it would take to repair it. She should've said "I THINK being fat is just unattractive." She said the statement as if it were a law. Most of the time they talk about how their sex appeal has increased since losing weight and how men open doors for them. BS! Not all men think being skinny is sexy, and men hold the door open for me and I'm nowhere near small. It's depressing how they play with words to make fat people feel bad and insecure, that's not how it's supposed to go.

Anywho, those are the three things that depress me, and hopefully my feelings about these things evolve...Eventually.

0 comments:

Post a Comment