September 19, 2013

Advice: How to Keep Yourself Clean

So, I received a very valid question on Ask.fm and I felt it was appropriate to address it here. As women, it's very important that we keep ourselves clean. And honestly, bigger girls (such as myself) have to go the extra mile. There's no way around it. For big girls, it's sometimes hard to figure what works for you. Maybe it's something you're embarrassed to talk about with friends or even family so here's my advice. 

This is only what works for me (my routine) and I will try to go into as much detail as possible, You may use different products or whatever you like. First of all, if you have an odor, find the source. You could do everything listed below and still have an odor. Check your shoes, your clothes, your hair, your breath, everything! You might only need to change your washing detergent, or wash your hair more often.

1. Start with a clean body. I prefer baths over showers because I like to soak. If I'm in a hurry or need to wash my hair I'll shower. If you feel as if you have some kind of body odor for whatever reason, put baking soda in the water. Maybe about 1/4 cup. If you can use a soap with a light refreshing scent. I prefer original Dove or Dial Spring Water bar. 

2. Some people bathe once or twice a day. I bathe in the mornings or before I start my day. I used to do it at night but I feel better if I do it before I start my day. If I'm going out, or have a special occasion I'll take a bath/shower before the event as well. For me it takes about 30 minutes for a bath. Stand up, wash all over, sit, rinse. In addition to that, as I'm sitting I'll take a sit down bath. If it's that time of the month I bathe in the morning and at night.

3. Shaving is important. I would invest in something electric. Regular shavers work too though. Underarms and pubic areas are priority. Underarm and pubic hair can sometimes cause odor, so shave as often as needed. I always shave in the tub while still wet, it's just easier. 

4. After your bath dry yourself thoroughly. Apply lotion all over. Something with a light, natural scent. I use Jergens the original cherry almond scent. 

5. If you're getting dressed for the day use deodorant. I have very sensitive underarms but I also sweat a lot so I need something that works but won't break my skin out. So, I use Dove original scent roll on. Since I have a job that's sometimes physical, I apply deodorant between the rolls and crevices. Some people use body powder but I hate the smell of body powder and the chalky feeling annoys me. If you're wearing a skirt or dress and hate the feeling of your thighs rubbing together apply a small amount on each inner thigh. 

6. This is optional but if you'd like lightly spray on a body spray. I don't use body spray except if it's a special occasion. Even then I might only use one or two sprays. If you don't have a high tolerance for fragrances, try spaying it on your back so it doesn't hit your nose directly. I would say don't use a perfume  everyday because they're too strong. A body spray should be light, refreshing. I have had a bottle of vanilla body spray (from Bath and Body Works) for at least 3 years and it's not even halfway empty. I also love Sweet Pea body spray (also from B&BW).

Finally, you should be set to go! Numbers 1-2 are the most important steps. If you don't start out with a clean slate and attempt to just mask an odor, you'll only make it worse. Also, always wipe yourself after urinating. I can't tell you how many times I have smelled a pee/fishy odor on a woman after she leaves the bathroom. Keep hygiene items in your purse to freshen up during the day if necessary. I always have these in my possession:

1. Lotion
2. Wet wipes/baby wipes
3. Deodorant
4. Pantyliners/Pads
5. Gum/mints/travel size mouth wash

If you follow these steps and still you aren't fresh smelling, maybe it's something medical that needs attention. So visit your doctor and discuss your issue. I hope this helped someone in need.

Happy hygiene! :) 

0 comments:

Post a Comment