October 19, 2014

Rest in Peace: Joanne Borgella

I don't aim to be an entertainment blogger, but it just so happens that's what the people want. I'm glad and blessed that I have this voice and this outlet to reach people and I hope this reaches someone who needs it. I write to reach. This post is about not only an entertainer but a beautiful soul, gone too soon. I admit, I write this post with a smidge of anger and hurt, but I'll get to that later.

It was announced a few days ago that actress, singer, model, and all around entertainer Joanne Borgella passed away after a year long battle with Endometrial Cancer. She was just 32. I remember seeing her on American Idol, I thought she was radiant and her confidence was contagious. Then again her beauty shined through on comedienne Mo'nique's modeling competition, Mo'nique's Fat Chance. I was young and admired her because at the time I had no self esteem and hated myself because of my size. If you've been reading my blog since I started of course you know about my struggle with self esteem, which I still have some issues with today.

People say that if you don't like yourself, change it but that's not an easy feat especially when it comes to self esteem. If I don't like myself even if I transformed into a Barbie doll, what good would it do? Anyway, after watching her win Mo'nique's Fat Chance, I vowed to work on me internally. Confidence is something that no one can give or take away from you. Confidence is a blessing, and sometimes even the most beautiful people don't have a lick of it. I said all of this to say that Joanne Borgella was one of the people who inspired me to accept me. She planted that mustard seed that I needed to grow, to make me love who I was. After the modeling competition, I didn't transform over night, God knows I didn't but the process started and that was an amazing obstacle in itself.

I'm angry because Joanne was an inspiration to so many, not only because of her internal beauty but also because of her brave Cancer fight. I'm angry because it took what felt like forever for this woman's untimely death to be announced on any major media site. Even in media that targets African-Americans, NOTHING! I understand she wasn't a major celebrity, but she was a STAR. Beyoncé's new haircut is still trending on media sites and blogs, but this woman is being put on the back burner. I really can't fathom this indecency. I wish the media would give this woman her light, the light that she so much deserved during her short life. I'm sure the family doesn't care about media coverage as they are grieving the loss of such a gem, but I am here to fight and I'm here to say that I loved her and all that she has done for me.

My thoughts and prayers go out to her family and friends. She will be missed and I only hope that I do my part in making sure her legacy and life are not forgotten. In honor of her, I will continue to work on myself as she inspired me to. I won't stop until confidence beams from me as it did from her, even in her final weeks. I know this post won't bring her back, nor bring lasting comfort to her family but I just hope to be a voice of love. Rest in peace, Joanne, you're light always shines even in the darkest hour.

0 comments:

Post a Comment