May 22, 2015

My 10 Favorite Songs by Beyonce


Heyyyyyyy Mrs. Carter...

Over the past month or so I've been really into Beyonce. I admit, I've slept on her since her third album I Am...Sasha Fierce. I heard a few singles from 4 and of course a few singles from her latest album Beyonce and honestly, I wasn't really impressed. I think Bey's greatest hits came from her first three albums. The artistry behind B'Day was genius and I think the album is a classic. It's her most versatile album in my opinion, but many people would strongly disagree. Through my time of re-discovering Bey, I think it helped me see her evolution, it's almost similar to watching a timid child grow up into a confident and lovely adult. From just branching off from Destiny's Child, to experimenting with sound and style, to becoming the Queen Bey we know today.

Anytime Bey drops an album, it's called an 'era'. She's known for switching up her styles for each of her albums, it keeps people wondering what she'll do next. My favorite era was the I Am..Sasha Fierce era. Many people have started to call Bey a representative for modern day feminism, and I have an issue with that. I think this was more evident in the Sasha Fierce era versus the Beyonce era. In every music video for the songs from Sasha Fierce there were always two other ladies with her. I think this represented the idea that Bey wanted all women to be "with her" as she rose to legendary fame. She shared the spotlight and had no problem doing so, which I loved. I think people placed Bey in the feminist category only after the release of "Run the World (Girls)" which was on the album following Sasha Fierce. I think she was a symbol for feminism before the song, but maybe it wasn't as blatant. I almost wish she would go back to the Sasah Fierce era, or at least incorporate some aspects of that era with a new era.

I'll be honest when I say none of the songs on the Beyonce album appeal to me. I think it does contain a couple nice songs, but nothing I would consider to be in my top ten. The Beyonce album seems to be an album of the time and a sign of the downfall of musicality in general. That's not to say the album isn't good, but in comparison to her others, I just think it's lacking. I always expect Bey to be unique and different because she is Queen, but on the last album I felt as if she blended in with today's sound, which worries me. Anyway, without further adieu, here are my top ten Beyonce songs. This is probably one of the hardest lists I've ever had to compile!

10. Green Light/End of Time (tie)

9. Irreplaceable

8. Radio

7. Dangerously In Love

6. Be With You

5. Baby Boy

4. Sweet Dreams

3. Countdown

2. Telephone (with Lady Gaga)

1. Deja Vu

After careful consideration, Deja Vu is my favorite song by Beyonce. It's edgy, has a great sound, and her husband Jay-Z is on the track, how much better could it get. I'm not a fan of Jay as a rapper alone, but when he collaborates with anyone ESPECIALLY his wife, the sound is always magical. Telephone is a really close second, because technically it is a Lady Gaga song, and even though I adore Gaga, I think Bey totally owned the song.

Extra tea: Run the World (Girls), Flawless, and Partition are three of my least favorite Bey songs!

What do you think? What are your top ten Beyonce faves?